BRR… it’s starting to feel like Christmas and this year in the spirit of the Holidays, I thought It would be a good idea to give some advice on how to reduce plastic under our trees.
At our Base we have started to prepare our presents for our loved one’s. Our guide Vanessa, told our team that she asked her family not to wrap her gifs with a bow, since even if it’s nice, it is only single use plastic that will end up in the trash, she asked that the gifs be wrapped with old magazines or journal paper and that if a bow is needed to use a plant based lace.
This conversation inspired me give some quick tips for the holidays that might be useful for all of you interested in reducing your carbon-footprint. Here are some easy tips to follow:
1) Reuse wrapping bags or paper from old presents.
2) For Christmas decorations wood based or natural based decorations are always a good option.
3) Don’t overheat your house more than necessary.
4) For children its is always nicer to offer them gifts that make them experience something rather than plastic toys.
5) Decorate with decorations that you will reuse for the upcoming years.
6) Don’t leave your Christmas lights on all night.
7) Try to buy vegetables and fruits that are in season for your holiday dinners.
8) Promote small business growth instead of buying from the big companies.
9) For New years eve it is always nice not to use confetti.
10) Do not buy plastic cups, cutlery or plastic plates for your extra guests.
And remember the most important thing is to spend time with your loved ones, it does not matter how much you buy or receive the main thing is to be together during the holidays.